11.15.2011

for the love of film {no.1}...


Those of you who have been following for a while now know that my love for film photography has grown to a near obsession lately. There's something about that authentic, grainy photograph that makes almost any subject intriguing to me.

That's why i've decided to start a new series here on the blog called, "For the Love of Film", where i'll be interviewing my favourite photographers/bloggers who also enjoy shooting film. There's so much talent out there and a lot to learn! I hope these interviews will be helpful for you if you're considering shooting film, or that you'll just enjoy getting to know these talented individuals!










I'm delighted to kick off the series with one of my absolute favourite bloggers, Maggie of Folkloric. Maggie resides in Washington State, and always captures the most amazing moments in nature. Her photos have a certain magic that I just love, as well as a truly emotional quality. Above are just a few of my favourite photos (so hard to choose!), and below, an interview with Maggie herself... enjoy! And be sure to pop by her blog too.

First off, what kind of camera(s) do you use? Do you have a preferred brand/type of film?

Most of my photos are taken with my Nikon FM film camera. I also use a Canon XS for digital shots and a vintage Minolta Autochord for when I have the chance to get medium-format developed. I do not have a favorite type of film—I need to experiment more.

Your photos capture such beautiful moments in nature. Where do you get your inspiration?

Thank you! I live in the Pacific Northwest, and while a sweeping panorama of the mountains or waters here can be stunning, I am most inspired by and drawn to photograph the smaller, more intimate scenes I find while out in nature. These details can feel like little secrets, and I treasure them because they seem like a way to turn a vast subject into something personal.

How do you go about setting up the perfect shot? Do you have any photography "rules" that you keep in mind?

I don’t really have any rules that I follow. I can get carried away taking shot after shot of gorgeous flowers in the summertime, changing leaves in the fall—I sometimes feel like this gets self-indulgent, so I try to be aware of that. I don’t want to just flatten something that is already beautiful by itself onto some film and call it a beautiful photograph—I try to think about what I am adding to the shot to make it my own.

What would be your best tip for beginners?

Give yourself permission to not take a photograph, if that makes any sense. When confronted with a stunning view, for example, sometimes I’ll feel guilty about not capturing it on film, even if I am not drawn to photograph the moment. Photograph things that make you feel like you have to take a picture, not that you should.

Who are some of your favourite photographers?

Among many others, I love Eirik Johnson, Keith Carter, and Josef Sudek.

What would be your dream location or subject to photograph?

I don’t know! I don’t usually set out to photograph things—I make sure to bring my camera along as often as possible and particularly when I think a good moment might present itself, but for the most part I like to just see what I see. I do feel like much of the work I do now is tied to where I live, so I would love to explore someplace completely different, like the Deep South. Who knows what would come of that?

And lastly, which is your favourite photo you've shot so far?

I don’t have one.

Thanks so much Maggie for participating! I especially agree with your tip for beginners, it's important to think about what you really want to shoot. Especially with film!

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so happy and excited about this new series of yours!
    Beautiful photos and nice tips are always welcomed :)
    Cannot wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited about your new series! I love shooting with film too, there's something genuine and refreshing about it in this age of Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful new series! Many new things to learn. :)
    Ada

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful new series! Many new things to learn. :)
    Ada

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you've started this series! I love shooting film. It has that magical quality that digital just doesn't have. Since moving to San Francisco, I haven't shot much because I feel like everything I do or see is the same as every other photo created by every other tourist. So I'm using my Holga more (and hopefully I can find a good lab to develop the film) and I'm just taking my time.

    I love what Maggie said about taking a picture because you have to, not because you should. I always feel guilty, as a photographer, that I'm not always taking pictures. But sometimes I just like to BE in the moment rather than the one always taking pictures, on the outside looking in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I love film so much. I never thought I would go to digital. But I guess it's inevitable. One thing I would like to know, though......Where do you other film lovers get your photos developed? All of the photo places in my area have stopped developing film and only do digital now. I would appreciate any advice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooohhhhh! Love that bowl of plums!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fabulous series. It's making me want to put some black and white film I have to use...nothing beats a black and white photo done with film. You've inspired me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Daniella,

    Wonderful new series—I like this idea very much! Film is so intriguing and what people see and admire is forever intriguing... loved reading this :)

    Hope you are enjoying the weekend...

    x
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. so glad you chose Maggie first. she moves me as no other photographer i follow on line. she is simply brilliant at what she does.

    ReplyDelete
  11. (and glad to have found you through her)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely series- these photos are so beautiful!
    {Nikon FM film camera= my dream camera :)}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely series- these photos are so beautiful!
    {Nikon FM film camera= my dream camera :)}

    ReplyDelete