11.29.2011

for the love of film {no.3}...









Off to a slow start this week. I had plans for some other film "photoshoots" but the rainy weather decided otherwise... so jumping right in this Tuesday with a new "For the Love of Film" feature...

Azzari from The Sweet Light, definitely knows how to use light to her advantage. Her photos capture the simplest of moments in such a beautiful way. I love when a photographer can turn an inanimate object into an intriguing story. Be sure to check out her blog and her portfolio site called, Gabrielle Kai Photography, for plenty more gorgeous photos. It was hard to choose!

First off, what do you love the most about film photography?

I love the grain, the mood, and the authenticity of film. I feel like each image tells a story. The thing I love the most is how light is captured on film - for me, there is no digital substitute. I love the aspect of “you never know what you are going to get”. There’s always that possibility with film, and I love it. Film photography embodies the true essence of the art.

What kind of camera(s) do you use? Do you have a preferred brand/type of film?

I use a manual Pentax K1000 film camera. My favorite film is Kodak Ektar 100 and Kodak Portra 400nc - which unfortunately, has been discontinued. I also use a Polaroid 680 Land camera, and Fuji Instax.

Your photos capture such beautiful elements that tell a much larger story. There's a real connection with each shot. What inspires your style the most?

I love knowing that the pictures I capture will live on much longer than me. I enjoy the fact that I’m not capturing what’s there, I’m capturing what I see – my perspective, my vision.

How do you go about setting up the perfect shot? Do you have any photography "rules" that you keep in mind?

No rules – just light. I’m always in search of it.

There’s a quote by George Eastman that that I try to embrace in my work –

“Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it.
But above all, know light.
Know it for all you are worth,
And you will know the key to photography.”

What would be your best tip for beginners?

Take photos everyday. Bring your camera with you. Shoot what feels right. Don’t be afraid to express yourself.

What would be your dream location or subject to photograph?

I’d love capture more of Europe on film.

And lastly, do you have a favourite photo you've shot so far?

Definitely this photo – taken with my very first roll of film. The mood, the grain, the light – captured exactly how I felt at this moment.


Thanks so much for participating Azzari! I love the quote about light... so true!

Photos: By Azzari of The Sweet Light

11 comments:

  1. Love this feature! Beautiful images. I really miss the quality of film images sometimes. We may get caught up in all the visual aspect but it is really true that light makes photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always searching for the perfect light, too. I totally agree that natural light is the most important thing. You are fabulous with photography!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful photos - it's all about the light!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! Really enjoying this series Daniella :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this interview! I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for the light.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the feature, Daniella!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How pretty, love the lighting in the images as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I clicked through from The Sweet Light and wanted to say how much I love your feature and your own photos! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad everyone is enjoying this series! Thanks again Azzari for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agree with everyone else - I'm really thankful for this series that you're doing. It's such a wonderful idea and love all the new film blogs I get to explore!
    ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete