1.17.2012

for the love of film {no.7}...











Today i'm happy to feature Suzie from Black-eyed Angel. Suzie and I "met" when she sent me an email about the series, and I realized I had just been looking through her blog after a Amanda had mentioned her during my Shoot by Design course. I just knew Suzie had to take part in the series! I love her attention to detail, and especially admire the photos from her "Back to the Old House" set (some above). Check out her interview below, and be sure to pop by her site as well...

First off, what do you love the most about film photography?

I love the luminosity, the tones and texture it creates, and I love the actual picture making process. It slows you down and makes you have to really learn a skill. As an artist it is one of the many media I use to express myself and I enjoy experimenting. It feels so much more a real way of photography and when I develop my own black and white photography, I'm in heaven.

What kind of camera(s) do you use? Do you have a preferred brand/type of film?

I'm a cameraholic and have far too many, but my never-to-part with cameras are Yashica TL Electro and an ME-35, an Olympus OM10, a Praktica and my absolute favorite, a Pentax Spotmatic. Searching out the perfect film/camera combination is an ongoing adventure I hope I will never stop having. Right now I'm crazy about Rollei Retro B&W film.

What would you say inspires your style the most?

The moment. I rarely plan anything. I guess because my other forms of art tend to be considered and careful, I love to be a bit chaotic and throw caution to the wind with my photography!

How do you go about setting up the perfect shot? Do you have any photography "rules" that you keep in mind?

Rules are made to be broken. If you have a basic understanding of light and how your camera works it becomes intuitive. Besides, the "mistakes" often make for the best shots and experimentation is part of the fun.

What would be your best tip for beginners?

Practise, practise, practise! Shoot film as often as you can, take the time to hone your skills. Try to seek the extraordinary in the ordinary. Also, shooting in a series is great discipline, perhaps as an ongoing project for a long time. For instance, I seek out carousels wherever I go and I have an ongoing artist's studios project that I love to do.

Who are some of your favourite photographers?

William Eggleston, Jonathan Levitt, Ernst Haas, Benedetta Falugi, Jack Radcliffe, Tiphaine C, Kumi Oguro..... so, so many I've left out and I keep finding new ones too.....

What would be your dream location or subject to photograph?

I don't think I have one, that would require too much planning. I am happy to see where I go and the opportunities as they present themselves.

And lastly, do you have a favourite photo you've shot so far?

Impossible to choose just one, but right now I love this one of my daughter, completely captivated. But if you ask me again next week, it will be something else!


Photos: Suzie Chaney

8 comments:

  1. i am in love with that first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree, rules are made to be broken! Great shots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series, Daniella! It would be really awesome, though, to link to places where we can purchase these extraordinary films. I have the hardest time finding them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for having me here, Daniella!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this series and Suzies photos are wonderful, so glad that you featured her :) great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been following Suzie (not in a stalking way!!) for a couple of years and I love her work. She is a very talented lady. Lovely to see an interview over here :)

    Lisa
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a helpful post! Suzie's work is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so happy to read about "my french neighbour" Suzie
    great interview :)
    thank you both

    ReplyDelete