2.27.2012

for the love of film {no.9}...













Hoping to get back to regular posting here on the blog, as I finally finished that roll of film...

Today, i'm excited to share the work of Elisabeth from Weepy Hollow blog. I had a really hard time narrowing down which photos to post, as Elisabeth's photos are all so fascinating to me. Her photography is full of emotion and capture a certain magical feeling. Each post on her blog brings something interesting and original. Elisabeth also has a book out called "Fables", which is a collection of photographs based on the Brothers Grimm fairy tales. You can take a peek here, or pop by her blog... and be sure to read her interview below, enjoy!

First off, what do you love the most about film photography?

I love that film is tangible. I love that you can trap some passing part of the world onto a bit of material, and that you can actually hold it in your hands. That's not something you can do with digital photography. It is truly and completely magic to me.

What kind of camera(s) do you use? Do you have a preferred brand/type of film?

The cameras I use the most often include a Zenit B, Minolta Maxxum, Diana F+ and Polaroid Spectra. I've recently been dabbling with a medium-format Argus 40 that is quirky. I would really love to invest in a german TLR sometime in the future. They shoot so beautifully. I try to experiment with different films, but Kodak Portra is commonly my companion.

What would you say inspires your style the most?

The fact that humans are intricate creatures. I love to photograph what makes us human, be it aged, imperfect, exciting, tragic, or whatever else. Anything that makes a human heart flutter, I would like to photograph.

How do you go about setting up the perfect shot? Do you have any photography "rules" that you keep in mind?

I adore natural lighting, I never use flash or light meters. Otherwise, I don't follow any rules or have any expectations. That would be rather limiting, I would imagine.

What would be your best tip for beginners?

In order to take a good photograph, you must have equally important knowledge of two things: your camera, and what it is in the world you find beautiful. If you know these things well, you will produce good photographs.

Who are some of your favorite photographers?

I love the film work of Annette Pehrsson and Maggie Lochtenberg. There are many artists similar to them whose work I have fallen in love with, just young women who, like myself, ardently love film and use it often.

What would be your dream location or subject to photograph?

France. Normandy, in particular- if my soul were a photograph, it would look something like that place, I would imagine.

Where do usually develop your film?

I generally go to my local drug store. Whenever I shoot something that I care a bit more about, I take it to a professional studio to get it sent out.

And lastly, do you have a favourite photo you've shot so far?

It changes with the season. It changes with the time of day. It could change with anything, really.

Thanks for participating Elisabeth!

Photos: Elisabeth Dare from Weepy Hollow, all from film

10 comments:

  1. These pics are lovely, nice to read some facts too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear the questions are helpful!

      Delete
  2. these are so beautiful. thanks for the introduction to another great blog to follow, YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thoroughly enjoyed this interview and pics. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow. Amazing photos. Such feeling. Thanks so much for including my question about where to get film developed. I'm curious to know everyone's answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No problem! I'm curious to see how more people answer that one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her photos are absolutely phenomenal! I'm totally following her blog and added her as a Flickr contact. I can see why you had a hard time narrowing it down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow. her photos are so gorgeous. thanks for introducing me to her work.

    ReplyDelete