2.01.2012

snacking...


One of the things i've been continuing from the Whole Living Action Plan, is having healthy snacks on hand at work. It stops those 3pm visits to the vending machine (who are we kidding with those "baked chips"?) and helps to make much better decisions when it comes to dinner plans. Seems like an obvious thing to do, but I just wasn't planning well enough ahead of time to make sure I always have some good, non-processed food with me.

Lately I've been bringing a lot of fruit... pears, grapefruit, oranges, apples, bananas, and other things like raisins, oatmeal, celery with organic peanut butter, and a nut mix. The nut mix is really easy and there's so many ways to mix it up. Just gather a bunch of your favourite nuts and toast them in the oven for about 10-15 mins at 350˚ (just keep an eye on them). I usually add some raisins after, and next time I think i'll add a little 70% dark chocolate. Much better mix than the salty, store-bought kinds!

What are your favourite healthy snacks?

Photo: My own, from film.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your snack :) I love sun-dried apple slices - no sugar, grand-mother made, very organic, naturally sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandryte - Always better when it's homemade! Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I've never thought of toasting my own nut mix. It sounds so simple! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Like you said, I usually avoid the store-bought snack nuts because the saltiness makes me maddeningly thirsty. This seems like a really practical, healthy solution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I'm organised enough, I like taking carrot and celery sticks and a little tub of homemade hummus with me to work.

    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm love toasted nuts. one of my favorite snacks is ak-mak crackers spread with fresh ground almond butter and a satsuma!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea!
    Now that I am expecting, healthy snacks are important (because I really should balance out the extra donuts I've been eating) so I've been good about grabbing raisins, bananas, and clementines. All I seem to want is fruit but I should try this nut mix thing you've got going ;)

    ReplyDelete